This post may contain affiliate links of which we earn a small commission should you choose to purchase through them. This helps us to keep the site running. Thank you for your support
This carrot and parsnip soup recipe is an easy but delicious option to make on a cold winters day!
It requires minimal prep and time, which is always a bonus in my eyes!
I think this is a basic recipe with really good flavours, a bit of a people pleaser, but you can always swap the vegetable stock for some chicken stock for a deeper flavour or try adding some spices like coriander and ginger for a different take!
Make this soup recipe yours!
Fancy trying some other soup recipes? Perhaps this Roasted Tomato Soup recipe is the one for you instead.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- 2 large carrots
- 2 large parsnips
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 large onion
- 1 litre vegetable stock (chicken stock optional)
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 60ml double cream
- Large saucepan/Casserole dish
- Food processor/Hand blender
- Heat your vegetable oil in the saucepan.
- Finely chop your onion before adding to the saucepan along with a generous pinch of salt.
You want to gently cook the onion until soft and starting to brown, this may take around 5 minutes.
Add a tbsp of water if you feel that it starts to burn.
Either toss or stir the contents when needed, to prevent any sticking.
- Wash, peel and roughly chop your carrots and parsnips.
You don’t have to peel your veg, this is a personal choice!
- Add your minced garlic along with some black pepper to the saucepan and continue to stir and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add your roughly chopped carrots and parsnips to the saucepan and toss or stir again to mix everything together.
- Pour 1L vegetable stock to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Once you have reached a boil, turn the heat down to a gentle simmer, place the lid on your pan and leave for around 20 minutes.
- Using a fork, check whether the vegetables are soft.
If so, move onto the next step.
If not, leave to simmer for a little longer.
- Add your 60ml cream to the mix.
- Blend until smooth.
You can choose whether you prefer a thicker blend with chunks or completely smooth.
- Season with a little bit more salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Add a little more cream and pepper to the surface for decoration.
Keep in an airtight container, refrigerate and eat within 3-4 days for best taste.
Simply reheat before serving.
Pin this recipe