This post may contain affiliate links of which we earn a small commission should you choose to purchase through them. This helps us to keep the site running. Thank you for your support
Broccoli is one of my favourite vegetables but only too often, I find that I haven’t used it all or that I don’t have a meal planned for it by the time it’s starting to turn.
I hate wasting good food and that’s why this easy broccoli cheese soup is the perfect way to use it up and also create a delicious hearty and warming meal!
Some personal tips..
Chop your broccoli florets into small pieces as broccoli can really hold temperature so if you leave them too big, do so at your own risk!
I like a double cream but feel free to use milk or whatever alternative you prefer but make sure to use it at room temperature to save on any curdling disasters.
When it comes to the cheddar, pick your desired strength, I usually pick up a medium.
Tips aside, most importantly, I hope you enjoy it!
Makes: 4-6 servings
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
- 4tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small onion – chopped/diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 4tbsp AP/plain flour (approx 1/4 cup)
- 800-900ml chicken or vegetable stock (approx 3-4 cups)
- 1 large broccoli head – finely cut
- 1 large carrot – finely cut
- 180ml double cream (approx 3/4 cup) – must be room temperature
- 125g cheddar cheese (approx 1 1/2 cup)
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1/2tsp paprika or thyme
- Large saucepan/Dutch oven
- Chopping board
- Measuring jug
- Scales/measuring cups
- Melt the 4tbsp unsalted butter in a large saucepan before adding your onion and garlic.Stir for a couple of minutes until the onions have softened.
- Add your 4tbsp flour and keep stirring until the mix begins to lightly turn a brown or golden colour.
- Next, you want to add your stock.I recommend using between 800-900ml, approximately 3-4 cups.
I chose to use vegetable stock this time but you can always choose a chicken stock if you prefer and it can add smooth and deeper flavour to the soup.
- Add your broccoli, carrots, cream, any additional seasoning and salt and pepper to your saucepan before leaving on a low heat for around 6-10 minutes or until your veg has cooked through.Stir occasionally to run the flavours throughout.
- Stir in your cheese and continue to stir for another minute or two before taking it off the heat.Add a little more salt and pepper if you feel it’s needed.
Serve and enjoy!
Place soup in an airtight container, refrigerate and eat within 3 days.
Pin this recipe