This post may contain affiliate links of which we earn a small commission should you choose to purchase through them. This helps us to keep the site running. Thank you for your support
Every now and then, I want to eat tomato soup and nothing else.
For weeks on end, it’s tomato soup and buttered toast and I just don’t seem to be able to get enough of the stuff!
And yes, cans are handy and can taste really nice but there is something so satisfying and comforting about making your own soup.
It tastes better than shop bought, I swear!
So, try making your own easy roasted tomato soup, mix up the seasonings to your taste or even run some cream through it for a smoother texture.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 10 mins
Total time: 1 hour 20 mins
- 2-3lb Tomatoes
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Garlic bulb
- 1 Onion
- 500ml Vegetable stock (approx 2 cups)
- 2tbsp Balsamic glaze
- Kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper
- Olive oilOptional
- Can of peeled tomatoes instead of fresh
- Tomato paste
- Double cream
- Food processor/blender
- Roasting tray
- Preheat the oven to around 200°C or 400°F
- Line your roasting tray with some foil or baking paper if you want to and then place your tomatoes, onion and garlic equally spaced out on the tray.I roasted my vine tomatoes on the vine but cut my cherry tomatoes in half.
Use any kind of tomato that you prefer or have available.
I cut the garlic bulb crossways as this allows it to roast better and saves on peeling.
- Drizzle olive oil over your tray and generously season with salt and pepper.
- Place your tray in the oven and roast for approximately 40-45 minutes.Set it on the middle shelf if you can and check on it occasionally, adjusting the timing to suit.
- Peel and grate your carrots.
- Once roasted, remove the tray from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, carrot, onion and garlic to your food processor/blender.The garlic should be so soft that it just comes away from the skin when squeezed gently.
- Put the blended mix into your saucepan or Dutch oven before adding the vegetable stock.
- Place on a low to medium heat and add salt, pepper and 2tbsp balsamic glaze for added flavour and a little sweetness.
- Simmer for around 10 minutes before serving.Feel free to add some double cream for a smoother and creamier texture.
Keep in an airtight container, refrigerate and eat within 3-4 days for best taste.
Simply reheat before serving.
Pin this recipe