These maple Brussels sprouts with bacon are amazing. Honestly!
I know people won’t believe me and I know how far down the list Brussels sprouts are when it comes to peoples vegetable favourites, but really, the sweetness of the maple syrup and the saltiness of bacon along with the slight nuttiness of the Brussels sprouts make it a perfect match.
And if you want a little added tang, try adding some balsamic glaze over the finished product!
Give it a go and let me know what you think!
- 400g Brussels Sprouts
- 2tbsp Olive oil
- 3tbsp Maple syrup
- 4 Rashers of bacon
- 1tsp Kosher salt
- 1tsp Cracked black pepper
- 2tbsp Balsamic glaze
- Glass/Mixing bowl
- Roasting tray
- Tin foil/parchment paper
- Preheat your oven to 200ºC/400ºF
- Wash your Brussels sprouts, removing the outer layer if loose and set aside to pat dry.
- One you have pat dried the Brussels sprouts, you want to cut the ends off.
Just the very end where it is hardened.
We often hear talk of cutting a cross ‘X’ at the bottom of our sprouts but this isn’t necessary and can actually leave the sprouts waterlogged if boiled.
- Cut the Brussels sprouts in half.
- Place all of the sprouts into your glass or mixing bowl.
- Next, add 2tbsp olive oil, 3tbsp maple syrup, 4 rashers of bacon and salt and pepper into your bowl.
Cut the bacon into small sections around 1/2″ thick.
- Toss or stir gently to coat evenly.
- Place all of your Brussels sprouts and bacon onto your baking tray and spread out.
I like to put mine cut side down, or half and half, as they the sprouts and the bacon tend to crisp up nicely.
- Place into the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes.
Keep an eye on this as your oven may be hotter and cook them faster or they may need a little bit more time. Adjust timings to suit your oven!
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Serve in your dish of choice.
For a little bit of a tang to the sweetness, try drizzling some balsamic glaze over your Brussels sprouts.
Store in an airtight container, refrigerate and eat within 2-3 days.
Brussels sprouts can be reheated in the oven for approximately 5 minutes or in the microwave for around 30 seconds.