This post may contain affiliate links of which we earn a small commission should you choose to purchase through them. This helps us to keep the site running. Thank you for your support
AD – This post contains gifted products from Scotty Brand and is part of a paid partnership.
When it comes to winter and the colder weather setting in, there’s nothing quite like a good hearty homemade bowl of soup. It’s a go to for my family, with almost every lunch consisting of soup.
Now, when Scotty Brand asked me to create a new soup recipe using their convenient “Soup Mix” bags that come with all the Scottish grown fresh veg ingredients pre-chopped and ready to throw into the pot, I couldn’t be more excited to take a family staple and throw my own twist on it.
That’s where the Vegetable and Lentil Rice Soup came to life.
Using the Lentil soup mix bag, which you can pick up in either Tesco or Asda, I set about trying to create a twist on the classic lentil soup recipe that could be thickened up to be more of a chunky filling meal, or have a little more water added to give a more traditional soup.
I’m very happy with how this recipe turned out and the ease and convenience of using the pre-mix bags make lunchtimes even easier with no compromise on the flavours.
Try this one for yourself and let me know what you think in the comments below.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 40-45 mins
Total time: 45-50 minutes
- 500g Scotty Brand Vegetable And Lentil Soup Mix (Carrot, Swede, Leek, Onion)
- 2tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 400g Chopped Tomatoes, 1x tin
- 900ml Vegetable Stock
- 100g Rice
- 2-3tbsp Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper to season
- Large Saucepan/Casserole Dish With Lid
- Heat olive oil in a pan before adding your vegetables. Sauté vegetables and minced garlic for 3-4 minutes on a medium-high heat.
Season vegetables with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add 900ml vegetable stock, 1 tin of chopped tomatoes, 100g rice and the sachet of lentils from the soup mix.
Stir together thoroughly before reducing the heat to a light simmer.
- Cover pan with the lid and leave to simmer for approx 40 minutes.
Stir halfway and add more water if required.
- Once cooked, add 2-3tbsp lemon juice and stir through.
Season with salt and pepper if required.
Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for around 3-4 days.