This post may contain affiliate links of which we earn a small commission should you choose to purchase through them. This helps us to keep the site running. Thank you for your support
To me, a meal isn’t a meal without some potatoes.. I’m not sure if that’s the Scot in me or just the way I was raised but no matter the meal.. I’ll take a side of carbs if it’s available!
In saying that, I am always looking for new ways to cook potatoes and these crispy salt and vinegar smashed potatoes are a great option.
These potatoes are great to share over some dip or as an added side to a main.
They don’t require much effort or many ingredients but they do take slightly longer to make than your average potato.
Once you have that first crunch and taste the flavour, I think you will agree that it’s worth it!
How you serve these is totally up to you! With ketchup, with sour cream, with your main.. coated in cheese..the options are limitless!
But however you have them, let me know.. because I always want to try new ways myself!
Makes: 2 servings
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- 500g Baby new potatoes (1lb)
- 5tbsp Apple cider vinegar (approx 1/3 cup) + 1tbsp before serving
- 3tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2tsp Onion powder
- Cracked black pepper
- Sea salt (Maldon)
- Fresh chives
- Roasting oven tray
- Preheat oven to approx 220°C/450°F
- Wash your potatoes and add to the saucepan along with around 5tbsp apple cider vinegar (approx 1/3 cup) and a healthy pinch, or 1/2tbsp, of sea salt.
- Then, fill the saucepan with water until you cover 1″ above the potatoes.
- Bring to the boil before leaving to simmer.
- This should take around 15 minutes to cook.
To check whether the potatoes are cooked, you want them to fall off the fork when pierced.
- Once this happens, remove from the heat, drain the potatoes and transfer to your oven tray before allowing them to cool slightly.
- Using the bottom of a glass, push a little on the potato until it begins to ‘smash’.
You don’t want to do this too heavily as the potato will just crumble.
- Cover your smashed potatoes with 3tbsp olive oil, 2tsp onion powder, 2 cloves chopped garlic and some sea salt and pepper.
Give the potatoes on your tray a quick toss, or turn, to coat both sides in the seasoning.
- Place your tray in the middle shelf of the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, give the potatoes a quick check and turn them over before roasting again for a further 10 minutes.
- The potatoes should now look crispy and golden.
If you are happy with this then remove them from the oven and place them in your chosen bowl or dish.
Otherwise leave them to cook for a further 5 minutes before moving on.
- Cover with a further 1tbsp of apple cider vinegar and some more flaky sea salt before serving.
Optional – Add some chopped chives if you are going to be serving these with dip.
Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
They can be eaten cold or slightly reheated in the oven or microwave.
Pin this recipe
More potato recipes
Love Potatoes as much as us?
Try some of these: